The kids and I went home to Tennessee for the weekend, and we had a wonderful visit. My parents' house is on the market, and they are praying it sells so they can move further south this winter, so this may be our list visit to the place they've been since I was almost 17.
The kiddos enjoyed having more space to run around (inside and out), and for Halloween we visited our old neighborhood, where we spent time with some of our best friends in the subdivision and went trick or treating together. This was my first year trick-or-treating as a Mom, and I was tired out, but glad we did it. Last year, Daddy took Bear around the 'hood while Buddy and I greeted the trick or treaters. The year before, we went to a church event in Memphis at Gramma Debbie's church, and the year before, well, Bear was only a week old so a select few got to peek at her before they took their treats from my Mom.
Bear dressed up as a fairy princess, and Buddy was disguised as a penguin, which suited him perfectly with his current gait as he learns to walk.
Some parents avoid Halloween altogether and some substitute it with a church based activity, but we've taken to participate in the fun aspects and not focus on the scary in the tradition I grew up... trick or treating in our "safe" neighborhood, with parents and friends. This year's weather in Middle TN was perfect... crisp, cool fall air, the sound of leaves crunching under our feet, and the scent of someone burning a fire in their fireplace. Hannah was so excited about being home that when we encountered a scary costume or decoration, it did not phase her. In fact, after she got over being startled by a pirate ghost at one home, she kept tapping it with her wand and laughing, and then Brandon laughed too. The man who was giving out candy just stood there waiting to finish playing with his "scary" decoration, with an understanding smile.
The funniest encounter of the evening was when I took Brandon out of his costume. He had stuffed a plate from our friends' plastic tea set inside his puffy penguin suit, and apparently it stayed there during our adventure trick-or-treating.


No comments:
Post a Comment