My Dear Hannah Eileen,
18 months ago, on October 25th, your Daddy and I were in our hospital room anticipating your birth. I don't remember a lot of details about that day; all the medicines they had me on made it a little blurry. I do remember that I was excited. Scared, too. We were about to evict you from your home inside me, so that you would be able to meet your Daddy in person before he had to go away for a little while. It was very surreal. GranDaddy and GranWendy came by to visit, I was given popsicles, and the anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural since she was going to be in surgery with another patient and I was too scared to attempt to deliver naturally.
At 6:08 p.m., your Daddy saw your head of dark brown hair. He and the doctor were the first to hold you, and I remember how proud he looked. He doesn't cry very often, but there were tears of joy glistening in his eyes. How perfect you looked, even covered in new baby slime. You were not happy to be out of your warm home, but we were oh-so-thrilled to hold you. Aunt Becca and Uncle Brett had arrived by that time, too, and I was excited to share you with our family.
18 months. Where has the time gone? A year and a half does not sound like a long time. But you have changed so much. You are not that completely dependent little newborn. You probably think your middle name is "Bear"; I know your older cousins Emmy and Maddie do. Your middle name is actually the name of GranWendy's Mommy, your Great-Grandmother. You'll meet her in Heaven some day. For now, you stand on your tippy toes and pound on the keys of the same piano which she played in her living room, as we keep it in ours for the time being.
You are fascinated with other children and animals. Your names mean "full of grace" and "bright and spirited". They suit you well. You love to play peek-a-boo, chase, hoppy feet, and bounce your ball. You understand so much of what we ask of you, and you vigorously say, "no" or shake your head "yes". You freely share kisses (blown, on the lips or cheek) with just about anyone, which thrills your grandparents but torments Princess-the-kitty. Your almost black hair and eyes have soften. Your eyes are a rich brown, and your hair is now light-medium brown and full of Shirley Temple curls. Your vocabulary is expanding daily, as you often try to copy words. You identify objects with excitement, as though you are proud that you know their names. You also love digging in the dirt, picking flowers, grass and leaves, and petting our terra-cotta bunny. (Maybe some day we'll get a real pet, but that bunny was a wedding present and is much easier to take care of than live animals.) While you definitely have a little tom-boy streak, you also actually seem to enjoy pretty things. Just yesterday, you picked a flowery bathing suit off the rack at the store, and would not put it down. Your Easter dress this year was a hand-me-down, but I don't think either of your older cousins actually wore it, at least not more than once. They never were the white lace and pink satin types. (They will gladly teach you about moths and other bugs, though!) Lately, you have even let me put bows in your hair and not pulled them out within 5 minutes. You love to pat the Bible, clap your hands, and dance to music. You bring us so much joy, and I am torn between wanting you to stay small forever and feeling thrilled with each new task you master.
We love you, Hannah-Bear. Happy Half-Birthday!
Love,
Mommy


4 comments:
so sweet. happy 1/2 bday bear.
(and no they didn't wear that dress.)
the battle of frills and bows is just not a battle i chose to fight.
happy day!
I giggled reading the description of how the name "full of grace" suits you... not because it doesn't suit you, but because we're always saying how it's a good thing that we did not name Juliana anything having to do with grace. 'Cause she sure doesn't have it. So it's a good thing it's your name and not hers. I pray she'll be a gracious person, but she definitely carries the clutzy gene. You can ask your mommy where that comes from.
OH, she has the clutzy gene, but her personality can be graceful, especially with animals and other babies. Well, unless somebody is sitting in HER chair. ;-) And she is surprsingly coordinated when she throws balls- they usually go in the right direction.
You have an awesome mommy bear. Hope your 1/2 b-day was great!
Post a Comment