Tuesday, September 11, 2007

battle of the wills at wal-mart

Hannah and I went to pick up a few things today, and I decided to see if their toy clearance aisle was still set up. It was. I found some gift ideas for her birthday and/or Christmas presents, one of them was a set of horses which would fit perfectly in her toy barn (the one that her daddy and aunt and uncle used to play with.) I let her hold the box, and she soon began fussing for me to open the package so she could play with the horses. I explained that she could not play with them until her birthday (of course, she doesn't comprehend that quite yet, though she knows what "not now, means"), and that we had to pay for them before they are really ours.

She fussed halfway across the store. I told her that if she did not stop fussing, I would put the horses back. She kept fussing, and the horses did not come home with us. The funny thing was, once they were out of the cart, her mood improved and we managed to finish our shopping. I wanted to buy the horses for her, but I was not about to let her have a tantrum over opening the package.

Note to self- hit the clearance aisle after the rest of the items are in the cart, so if the tantrum escalates, all you have to do is check out. One woman smiled at me knowingly and said, "I've been there."

2 comments:

crt said...

good mamma

Sara said...

I love the other mom comment instead of "those" looks you get from some people!

Bear & Buddy:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers