I've had several people tell me they wish they had started potty training earlier. I read somewhere that since the introduction of wicking disposable diapers, the age of potty training has grown progressively later in the US. There's a book that was written by a pediatrician that I have been meaning to read called "Diaper free before 3". It may or may not happen, but I figured if we approach it gently as potty learning, with opportunities but not force, she might warm up to the idea. Of course, then I'll have to figure out the whole pulic restroom dilemna... As much as she tends to toss and turn during diaper changes, we figure it is worth the shot.
Well, as you've read previously, Hannah has been sitting on her potty during story-time, play, etc... She loves her Usborne Baby's Potty book, and she received a bilingual potty training book through Books from Birth, and we found a cute story at the libvrary. She likes watching me use the toilet, and tries to help me flush it. Tonight before bed, I asked her if she wanted to try to go potty. She nodded her head yes. When we got to the bathroom, she started patting the big toilet. So, I took the seat off her little potty, set it on the big toilet, and set her on top. It took her a few seconds to get comfy (as much as possible), but I handed her a rubber ducky and held her nightgown up... she sat there for a couple of minutes. Nothing happened, but the fact that she wanted to try is a big step! Usually she nods her head "no" and we let it go, changing her diaper as usual. We did slip a pair of shortss under her nightgown so she doesn't pull of her diaper during the night. She likes playing with it more and more. It won't be long before she's pulling pants down herself in the middle of the night, but until then, it's worth the precaution.


3 comments:
I was very excited to notice in the Murfreesboro Target that they now have sanitary wipes in every stall to wipe the potty with.
Here's another potty training reference for you if you're interested. http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/toddler/toilettraining/4399.html
I will also like to add the importance of potty training the old fashioned way, starting as soon as the baby can sit, at about 6 months.
Anticipate its need to evacuate, every 2.5-3 hours and/or after feeding. Put the baby in a harness or sling, tied to the crib for support and plop the kid on a glass or transparent potty, encouraging it to do the deed, by saying pee-pee and caca-caca. Also, give the child a color picture book with animals and imitate the sounds that the animals make, associating it with the name of the animal: cow-moo, dog-bow-wow, etc. Cheer the baby while it is doing it. When the the baby is finished, tell it what a great job it has done.
There is no frustration in this method. Just a great time spent by the mother and child and a great opportunity to bond, leading to extremely strong, life long love ties.
I wish all the parents will try this loving method, which will create new generations of disciplined, adapted, clean and obedient children, who will mature into productive and unconflicted adults.
Post a Comment